"Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it."
Oscar Wilde

Monday, December 6, 2010

The Homecoming of Heroes

Recently I have been reading the papers and the news, and I have seen how many people oppose the War in Afghanistan. Several weeks ago, anti-war protestors made a demonstration at the funeral of a U.S. soldier. The funeral of a U.S. soldier! This, in my opinion, is when anti-war protests have gone too far. The people that I respect and admire most, other than my parents, are those serving their country. Soldiers, firemen, and policemen are the people who make a stand on the front lines of American liberty and freedom. When I see something like anti-war protestors complaining about the War during the funeral of a soldier, it makes me furious. Look out! I may become a raging maniac before you know it! There is a proper time and place to voice your dissatisfaction with the War; a funeral is clearly not one of them.
I read America and Vietnam: The Elephant and the Tiger several months ago, and it was all very well until I got to the end of the book. That was when the writer, Albert Marrin, started talking about the anti-war protestors. During the Vietnam War, the protestors spat on U.S. soldier coffins, kicked maimed U.S. soldiers, taunted maimed U.S. soldiers, and even shared quarters with the enemy. Joan Baez, an excellent singer, toured North Vietnam during the U.S. offensive. This is a form of treason. In my opinion, anyone who violently disrespects an American Soldier during an American War is acting in terribly bad taste and should be placed in jail. We cannot force people to respect soldiers, but at least we can appreciate the fact that they risked their lives in the name of their country. It is fine if someone wishes to oppose the war, but disrespecting a soldier is disrespecting your country! Violently disrespecting a soldier means that you do not deserve the right to freedom! After all, they are trying to preserve our right to freedom.
I wish that anti-war activism has toned down enough over the past few decades so as to ensure a welcoming return home for our soldiers. I can only hope. However, I do believe that there are enough people in America who are ready to welcome and appreciate, if not respect the returning soldiers. If it was up to me, every soldier would receive a Medal of Honor, and get a ticker tape parade.

5 comments:

  1. :) Totally agree. There is a time and a place and a method for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yah! Totally agree. One wonders why our soldiers even defend us anymore if that is the way they are treated.

    ~Amy~

    (Jack that castle in the background of your picture looks awfully familiar, is it Mont St Michel by any chance?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a matter of fact Amy, it is! I went there last year with my family. As I can speak French comparatively well, it made the experience even better! I may be posting something about it in the future, as it is the coolest place in the world. (That I have seen so far.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is almost the coolest place! :-)
    It does help if you speak French.
    ~Amy~

    (oh yes the coolest place I think is this castle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Crac_des_chevaliers_syria.jpeg
    It's cooler than Mont St Michel only becasue there are no sections that are roped off, you can do whatever you want in that castle)

    ReplyDelete