"Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it."
Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Architecture and Irrigation Conspiracy

Does anyone ever wonder, when driving casually down a road in either the city or the country, how easy it would be to fortify? Think about it, if you look at any city road, there is usually elaborate walls, hedges, and sometimes even statues and sunken parks all around them. Then take a country road, think about how, most of the time,  irrigation ditches ride along both sides.
If there ever was an invasion of America, I am assuming that the Americans would take up arms (I know I would) and assist the military. What better place to fight then along these roads??? Cover everywhere, you've constantly got an architectual wall, a ditch, a fence, a hedge, to hide behind!
Is this the work of the government? Did they plan this? IS THERE AN IMPENDING INVASION OF AMERICA????? I don't know, but if I had to fight off an invasion of the homeland, it seems like it would be awful convenient.
*This is a ridiculous post, I just felt like posting something like this. It does seem kind of interesting though... next time any of my readers are driving, look along the roadsides and see if there is ever anywhere where one could take cover, I'll bet you'll see quite a few.

This is a picture of me in front of a bridge called 'Le Merderet' in Normandy, France. On June 6, 1944, this bridge was occupied by American paratroopers and there was a very heavy battle, including tanks, bazookas, and machine guns, all around it. In the end, the handfull of American paratroopers managed to hold off large numbers of Germans and four tanks. If you look closely, you can see the ground sloping away from the road, forming a small irrigation ditch, which leads into the stream that the bridge crosses. In 1944, this ditch was much bigger and wider and, during the battle, it was filled with American troops. The American troops won the battle, and their side of the stream had the ditches... does that say anything about my theory?

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I've often noticed that. But in France it's much better, I suppose that's because they actually did plan for it. :)

    And love the picture of your puppy. Is that a gentle leader he's wearing? And what is his name. (I'll assume you've picked one by now. :) )

    ~Amy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol yes Amy, that is a gentle leader. How did you know? His name is Miles, because he runs so many miles with us. :) [My entire family runs...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. We decided to adopt a 6 month old lab with no previous training, the only way I could save hands (I'm a musician) was to get a gentle leader..so long story of how I knew. :)

    So, you want to come run my dog for me, he would love somebody who actually has the time to take him running. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your theory. It makes scene and is interesting. Perhaps the US gov. does this for precaution, not because of any current threat. Who knows??

    ~James R.
    Schola Student

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol Amy I would love to run with your dog. However, I get up at 5:40 in the morning to run with mine... so I'd have to get up earlier to run with two... I think I'm gonna have to pass :)
    Thanks James! Interesting thought too, maybe all these disguised defenses are just precautionary... :)

    Thanks for reading!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete